- You will wake up in a jockstrap with some gauze around your scrotum and overlying your surgical incisions. We want you to maintain this dressing for the next 24 hours. If you use the restroom, please reapply the jockstrap with gauze afterwards. Blood spotting on the gauze is expected and is not cause for alarm. All stitches will dissolve on their own.
- Apply ice packs (can be a zip-loc bag with ice or frozen peas / vegetables) to your scrotal area for the next 48 hours intermittently while you are awake. You can shower tomorrow approximately 24 hours after your surgery. Remove the jockstrap and all gauze. During showering, avoid scrubbing your surgical site for one week (you can allow soap and water to run over all the incisions). Do not submerge underwater for 2 weeks (no bathtub or swimming pool).
- Please wear an athletic supporter from a sporting goods store (preferable) or snug brief underwear for the next 2 weeks after your surgery to provide extra support. This will also help with post-operative swelling and discomfort.
Diet and Activity
- You may return to your normal diet, as tolerated, after surgery.
- For the first 1-2 days after your surgery, we want you to be resting comfortably. Light activity such as walking around your home every few hours is encouraged but we want you to minimize your activities. Afterward, you may advance your activity, as tolerated. This includes driving and returning to work if you are no longer taking narcotic pain medications.
- Please avoid any heavy lifting more than 10 lbs or strenuous physical activities altogether for 2 weeks (no running, elliptical, swimming, or extensive cardiovascular exercise) and then ease back into your regular activity. Avoid straddle activities (no biking) for 4 weeks.
- Please avoid any sexual activity for 2 weeks after your surgery.
- You will receive a prescription for a narcotic pill. Try to avoid using the narcotics as much as possible by first relying on extra strength Tylenol (acetaminophen), which is better tolerated with fewer side effects.
- Please avoid any Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, or any other blood thinners afterward for two days.
Problems you should report
- Fevers > 101.
- Any pain not controlled by pain medication provided.
- Moderate or severe swelling by your skin incisions or involving your scrotum (i.e. the size of a grapefruit or larger).
- Any concerns or problems, please contact us at (717) 393-1771 anytime.
You should be scheduled for a post-operative appointment about 2 weeks after your surgery.
Please call (717) 393-1771 to confirm time and location.