- You will wake up with a dressing wrapped around your penis. We want you to maintain this dressing for the next 24 hours. Blood spotting from the incision is expected and is not cause for alarm. All stitches will dissolve on their own.
- You may want to gently apply petroleum-based ointment to the incision to prevent it from sticking to the scrotal skin or underpants.
- Apply ice packs (can be a zip-loc bag with ice or frozen peas / vegetables) to your penile area for the next 48 hours intermittently while you are awake.
- You can shower tomorrow approximately 24 hours after your surgery. During showering, avoid scrubbing your surgical site for one week (you can allow soap and water to run over all the incisions). Do not submerge underwater for 2 weeks (no bathtub or swimming pool).
Diet and Activity
- You may return to your normal diet, as tolerated, after surgery.
- For the first 1-2 days after your surgery, we want you to be resting comfortably. Light activity such as walking around your home every few hours is encouraged but we want you to minimize your activities. Afterwards, you may advance your activity, as tolerated. This includes driving and returning to work if you are no longer taking narcotic pain medications.
- Please avoid any heavy lifting more than 10 lbs or strenuous physical activities altogether for 2 weeks (no running, elliptical, swimming, or extensive cardiovascular exercise) and then ease back into your regular activity. Avoid straddle activities (no biking) for 4 weeks.
- Please avoid any sexual activity for 6 weeks after your surgery.
- You will receive a prescription for a narcotic pain pill to use in addition to extra strength Tylenol (acetaminophen). Narcotics can cause constipation so use over-the-counter stool softeners as needed.
- Please avoid any Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, or any other blood thinners after the procedure for at least two days.
Problems you should report
- Fevers > 101.
- Any pain not controlled by pain medication provided.
- Large separation of incision line.
- Spreading redness from incision or blackened appearance of penis.
- Any concerns or problems, please contact us at (717) 393-1771 anytime.
You should be scheduled for a post-operative appointment about 1-2 weeks after your surgery.
Please call (717) 393-1771 to confirm time and location.