- You will have one or two small skin punctures or incisions on the scrotum. Blood spotting from the incision can occur and is not cause for alarm. All stitches will dissolve on their own.
- Apply ice packs (can be a zip-loc bag with ice or frozen peas / vegetables) to your scrotal area for the next 48 hours intermittently while you are awake.
- You can shower tomorrow approximately 24 hours after your surgery. During showering, avoid scrubbing your surgical site for one week (you can allow soap and water to run over all the incisions). Do not submerge underwater for 2 weeks (no bathtub or swimming pool).
- Apply petroleum-based jelly such as Vaseline or Neosporin to the incisions as needed for comfort to prevent sticking to underwear or the penis.
- Wear an athletic supporter from a sporting goods store (preferable) or snug brief underwear for the next 2 weeks after your surgery to provide extra support. This will also help with post-operative swelling and discomfort.
Diet and Activity
- You may return to your normal diet, as tolerated, after surgery.
- For the first 1-2 days after your surgery, we want you to be resting comfortably. Light activity such as walking around your home is allowed but avoid prolonged periods standing. Afterwards, you may advance your activity, as tolerated.
- Avoid any sexual activity for 1-2 weeks after your surgery.
- No antibiotics are required after this procedure.
- You will receive a prescription for a narcotic pill. Try to avoid using the narcotics as much as possible by first relying on extra strength Tylenol (acetaminophen), which is better tolerated with fewer side effects. Avoid driving while on narcotic pain medications.
- Please avoid any Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, or any other blood thinners afterward for two days.
Problems you should report
- Fevers > 101.
- Significant bleeding from incisions that does not stop with applying pressure.
- Any pain not controlled by pain medication provided.
- Moderate or severe swelling by your skin incisions or involving your scrotum (i.e. the size of a grapefruit or larger).
- Any concerns or problems, please contact us at (717) 393-1771 anytime.
Planned follow-up appointments are typically not required. You should submit your first post-vasectomy semen analysis about 2-3 months following the procedure. Do not rely on your vasectomy for birth control until you have been given clearance following your semen analysis. Repeat semen analyses may be necessary.